Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Are we there yet?


It’s Day 1 of a new era for our country and I already feel like a bratty little kid in the back seat of a Ford Festiva on a road trip with the fam. With my professional life crumbling all around me (strangely it’s not a booming industry for party planning), I long to magically see our financial problems disintegrate…

I guess the good thing is that I really believe in Barak. Finally a politician who doesn’t sound like he’s whistling Dixie. I was moved to tears of joy yesterday by his heartfelt speech – and tears of boredom during that crackpot string quartet. I think the key concept is going to be patience and taking responsibility for getting the olde SS America steered in the right direction. Being one of little patience, it’s going to be particularly trying for me. What do you mean I can go out to fancy dinners? Can’t drink at the bar all day during sporting events? Can’t change my hair color or toe nail polish on a whim? No one said buckling down is enjoyable by any stretch…

But craning my neck to glimpse that silver lining, I can see that life really isn’t that bad. I have a pile of crazy friends that keep me entertained and occupied, my family still likes me, I do actually like to be at home and cook too! And having a President I can finally believe in? I never thought I’d see the day I could say that. I guess I’ll sit back, buckle my belt, and try to enjoy the ride- at least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment